Thursday, May 26, 2011

Portland Gay Beating Results In Hand Holding Rally

I have a ton of friends in Portland, so I frequently make trips from my hometown in order to visit. It's a great town, known for its delicious beer and tolerant atmosphere. It's become something of a home-away-from-home for me, so you can imagine my rage when I heard of a hate crime committed against a gay couple strolling along the waterfront.

Brad Forkner and Christopher Rosevear were enjoying an evening walk while holding hands when they were accosted by a group of five men who beat them to a pulp. Nothing was taken, so detectives are investigating the matter as a bias crime.

"'I'm concerned by any assault of this nature,' Police Chief Mike Reese said. 'Particularly when it appears that the victims were targeted because of their perceived sexual orientation.'

"The suspects hit Rosevear in the head, face, back and ribs, before running away south on the trail past the two victims, police said.

"'The fact that people are still wanting to attack people based on their sexual orientation or gender identity is beyond my comprehension,' said Stephen Cassell of the Q Center."

No shit. Portland even has a gay mayor, for chrissake. 



In typical Oregonian style, a hand-holding protest is being held on Hawthorne Bridge this upcoming Sunday at 7:30 PM, the time and day of the attack. Event details found here. I encourage all of my Portlander friends* to attend, gay or straight.

*Yes, friends on Senate Street, I'm talking to you.

3 comments:

  1. Just a quick edit-the time is 7:30 pm. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's me! I'm a friend on Senate Street!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Oregonian! Yes, Brooke. Do me proud.

    ReplyDelete