Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"If there was a 'hell no' button right there, I would press it."

In the wake of Minnesota's legislative decision to put the welfare of minority families to a majority vote, Rachel Maddow put the big picture together with this video of two legislators-- one of them Republican-- making impassioned pleas for rationality and compassion for gay families.  The Republican?  Iraq war vet John Kriesel, who lost the use of his legs in Fallujah.  He held up an image of a gay soldier before his peers and had this to say:

“I don’t know about you guys, but I cannot look at this family, look at this picture, and say ‘You know what, corporal, you were good enough to fight for your country and give your life, but you were not good enough to marry the person you love.’ I can’t do that. I cannot do that and I won’t do that. If there was a ‘hell no’ button right here, I would press it. That would be the one I would press.”

Watch:


No comments:

Post a Comment