Sunday, December 26, 2010

Richard Chamberlain: You Won't Be a Successful Actor if You're Openly Gay

Mr. Thorn Birds himself gave an interview to the Advocate to promote his recent role on Brothers & Sisters

 Right, kid, no-one had ANY idea.

Keeping in mind that he was a closet queer for years and heartthrob for my old-ass mom's generation, he had this to say:

"It’s complicated. There’s still a tremendous amount of homophobia in our culture. It’s regrettable, it’s stupid, it’s heartless, and it’s immoral, but there it is. For an actor to be working is a kind of miracle, because most actors aren’t, so it’s just silly for a working actor to say, 'Oh, I don’t care if anybody knows I’m gay' — especially if you’re a leading man. Personally, I wouldn’t advise a gay leading man–type actor to come out."

Well, I read the whole interview and I have to say:  dude may be out of the closet but he's still internalizing a lot of homophobia.  I'm no psychologist, but he just can't seem quick enough to deny any sort of gayification of his career.

Honestly, if I felt the same way, none of you would know about my love for pole, my HIV, my struggles with addiction... and just about everything that makes Ian... well, Awesome.  My victories over these adversities are what make me ME, and only by speaking honestly about them do I help to remove the stigma that these issues have. 

So, Richie, shut your gayelle ass up!  Let the leading men come out!  Gyllenhaal, sock it to us*!

*I have no ulterior motive in wanting Jake Gyllenhaal to come out of the closet.  Oh no.  Not at all. 

[The Advocate]

No comments:

Post a Comment