Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Cure for HIV?

This news got me really fucking excited, and a little bit hopeful.

"On the heels of World AIDS Day comes a stunning medical breakthrough: Doctors believe an HIV-positive man who underwent a stem cell transplant has been cured as a result of the procedure.
Timothy Ray Brown, also known as the 'Berlin Patient,' received the transplant in 2007 as part of a lengthy treatment course for leukemia. His doctors recently published a report in the journal Blood affirming that the results of extensive testing 'strongly suggest that cure of HIV infection has been achieved.'"

I'm trying to not get TERRIBLY excited-- the procedure Mr. Brown underwent is expensive, risky, and painful.  However, this opens up a whole new world of research possibilities.

So, conservatives that think stem cell research is immoral:  Suck it.  I have HIV.  I don't want it anymore.  I hope, and I pray, every day, that a cure will come in my lifetime.  If it comes in the form of stem cell transplants-- hell yeah.  Sock it to me.

[HuffPo]

No comments:

Post a Comment