Thursday, June 16, 2011

Dan Choi Confronted By OFA Activist, Thoroughly Pwns Him

Netroots isn't short of excitement, especially when Dan Choi is involved.



The third panel I attended today was a high profile get-together of Dan, John Aravosis of AmericaBlog, Jane Hamsher of FireDogLake, and Felipe Matos, a DREAM activist.  The title of the panel, "What To Do When Your President Isn't Into You," described perfectly the tone of the presentation.  Essentially: what do communities do when candidates seek their stamp of approval but balk on delivering the goods?

Dan gave a stirring testimony, declaring that the DNC "has been more divisive than any other political force in the history of gay politics."

However, the highlight of the panel was when one of Organizing for America's activists approached the stage and attempted to hijack the conversation in order to swing opinion positively towards the President.

He made one mistake.  Handing over an informational card to John, which was quickly appropriated by Choi, the OFA rep made the mistake of saying that he was not for same-sex marriage.

"I can't say that I'm for marriage equality, as a bisexual,"


"You say you're not for marriage equality?" asked Choi.

"I can't, as, uh..."

Choi ripped the card in pieces and scattered it on the stage, waving away the young, bumbling activist.

"Do you not understand? I believe I'm an equal citizen."

I'm not embarrassed to say I leapt to my feet, applauding.  

No comments:

Post a Comment