Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Good Morning From Minneapolis

So after my insane flight debacle yesterday, I finally ended up getting into Minneapolis to be treated to an evening summer thunderstorm, which was a bit inconvenient navigating my way across a strange city.  Happily, when I arrived at the hotel, it turns out that I had a room to myself (Netroots scholarship participants normally double up), so I'm sittin' pretty in the lap of luxury.



Even though I was exhausted, I joined Scott Wooledge (of the DailyKos and Pam's House Blend) at the Hilton bar, where I had the privilege to meet a few of my heroes, to include Pam Spaulding and Jeremy Hooper of GoodAsYou, oddly enough the very first gay blog I ever read.  I admit, I gushed on him a little bit.  He gracefully thanked me and then moved to the other side of the room.  Maybe I should have offered him a wet nap.

It was a delight to meet all these characters (Zach Rosen from The New Gay?  Cute as a button, FYI), and I was super pleased.  I couldn't help feeling, naturally, a certain sense of What-The-Fuck... I mean, I'm just some PNW hipster with too much time on my hands, right?  What the hell am I doing rubbing elbows with Rod McCullom?  But everyone was super friendly and warm.  Nothing productive was gained in the evening-- meeting up in the hotel bar was purely social.

Scott and I got down to the bottom of a gay scandal rocking the blogging world this week, however.  You know Maggie Gallagher?  We decided her yet unseen husband simply must be the true identity of Paula Brooks. 

I came back to my hotel to find a treat: one of my very favorite BFFs from high school was waiting for me in the lobby with a bottle of wine in his bag and a smile on his face.  Evidently he's traveling the country with his girlfriend and is in Minneapolis the same week I am, so we marveled at the serendipity of our meeting and then promptly got drunk on cheap hooch in my room.

This morning I'm starting a day of pre-convention meetings, so I'll get to meet all the other Netroots participants and will probably be drooling over the hot progressive gays.  Don't worry, I've got a pocket full of wet naps.  See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment