Monday, January 24, 2011

Cuz Cookies Are Just As Good, Right?

Hearings began today in Des Moines on the Iowa Marriage Amendment. 

"The Iowa Marriage Amendment (IMA) seeks to put a question on the 2013 ballot that would define marriage in the Iowa constitution as a heterosexual union – and thereby reverse the 2009 Iowa Supreme Court ruling that brought gay marriage to the Midwest.

"The measure is supported by 56 out of 60 Republicans in the House and supporters claim all 60 GOP members will likely vote for the measure, which has little – if any – support among Democrats."

Supporters for the measure are meeting to pray for its successful passage, which of course isn't surprising.  What IS surprising is that these numbskulls, led by Bob Vander Plaats, are bringing a little something extra for any gay protesters they might encounter.

Bob Vander Plaats:  Let them eat cake.
"'Several of us plan to bring a token of Christian love (like a small bag of cookies or other treats) to share with homosexual activists who we'll be encountering Monday,' the group wrote in a newsletter to supporters. 'It's time we dispel lies about Christians, by tangibly showing love to people who struggle with homosexuality.'"

Oh, great!  You strip me of my right to marry-- but at least I get a cookie!  Delightful.  I'll just go home now and wait for the bus to pick me up and take me to the conversion camp.  Thanks!

I wonder if the Iowan families that have married gay couples will be mollified by cookies?  Somehow I doubt it.

1 comment:

  1. Things like this make me angry, and makes me worry that others will think that all Christians actually think like this.

    ReplyDelete