Sunday, April 3, 2011

Huffington Post No Longer A Leftist Publication

In a recent interview with the New York Times, Arianna Huffington stated what many of us suspected would happen once the sale of her website was complete:  The Huffington Post will no longer be considered by the publishers a "lefty" leaning news source.  Huffington maintains that it has never been a leftist blog and thus there's no great change in policy now that it belongs to AOL.

 Arianna refreshes herself with the refrigerated tears of sweatshop writers.


"You’ve been saying recently that The Huffington Post is not a lefty publication?
Actually I’ve been saying that for three years. The tag line that we’ve used a lot is 'Beyond left and right.'

"Three years ago was 2008. I looked at The Huffington Post a great deal during the election. It felt like the Internet version of Keith Olbermann’s show, and if that’s not lefty. . . .
Why don’t you be more specific? What were the messages that you considered lefty?

"It’s as if you’re trying to tell me that Smurfs aren’t blue.
I’m just telling you that it is very clear that we have progressive views, but to call everything we’re doing lefty — it misses the whole point that American policy needs to be redefined beyond left and right. It’s a completely obsolete view of politics.

"Still, I’m amazed you’re trying to tell me that The Huffington Post wasn’t started as a lefty blog?
I’m not trying to tell you anything. I’m telling you things. I’m not trying, O.K.?"

HuffPo has a larger readership than the New York Times, and that is due to the hard work of thousands of unpaid liberal contributors.  Arianna, my dear, I hate to be crude (not really) but:  HORSESHIT. 

The rest of the interview is here:
[NYT]

No comments:

Post a Comment