Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Geek Shit Wednesday Vol. VI

Modified THC Blocks Pain Without Getting You Effed Up

As a good Oregonian, I consider it my civic duty to believe in and defend medical marijuana (smokin' weed being, after all, our state's official pasttime).  However, it looks like the government's objection to marijuana as medicine (IE:  it fucks you up and that's bad) may be going the way of the dinosaur.


Click on the link below, it has tons of info involving breeding mice and an enzyme called glycine.  What it all boils down to:  They can make it so THC will mediate your pain, naturally, without getting you high.  What's not to love (unless you're a stoner)?

[Ars Technica]

 Asteroids Buzz The Earth


Two asteroids zoomed past the Earth today at distances closer than the Moon.


"Newly discovered asteroid 2011 GW9 flew within 48,000 miles of Earth twice Wednesday morning at 12:53 a.m. EDT [04:53 UT], according to the Jet Propulsion Lab’s Small Body Database. A second space rock, 2011 GP28, will slip within 120,000 miles of Earth at about 3:36 p.m. [19:36 UT]."

And me without my Atari.

The rocks are measured to be one-third to one-half the size of the rock that impacted near the Tunguska River in Russia in 1908.

[Wired]

Facebook Post Leads To Man Finding Kidney Donor

A sick man's wife was driven to desperation.  Facing a three to five year wait, her ailing husband was undergoing health-depleting dialysis treatments.  Roxy Kurze posted on Facebook "Wishing a kidney would fall out of the sky so my husband can stop suffering.  So if anyone knows of a live donor with type O blood, PLEASE let me know." 

An acquaintance of hers saw her post and decided to be a hero.  Watch the video below.





[Today]

1 comment:

  1. Wow, so when I'm on dialysis in 15 years, I can just post on Facebook and get a new kidney? Really?! Who knew chronic renal failure could have such a happy ending.

    It's mostly just been this thing that's looming ahead of me, kind of terrifying when I think about it. Which is fortunately, not often.

    I'm also type O. Just sayin'.

    --Solomon

    ReplyDelete