Thursday, October 27, 2011

#OccupyOakland Protestor/Iraq War Veteran Critically Injured



In the latest bit of news to emerge from Tuesday's police brutality in downtown Oakland, a 24-year-old Occupy Oakland-er and Iraq war vet, Scott Olsen, has been hospitalized in critical condition. He was hit by a piece of projectile, which witnesses say was from flash-bang grenades launched by police. (Police naturally deny this, but there are videos circulating that suggest otherwise.)



Says a friend and fellow protestor:

"I'm just absolutely devastated that someone who did two tours of Iraq and came home safely is now lying in a US hospital because of the domestic police force."
I couldn't have said it better myself. Healing thoughts go out to Olsen, and let's hope that we don't hear any more of this kind of story. I'm especially thinking of particular army vets I know who are out there occupying at the moment.

2 comments:

  1. It would be far too simple to let this go unanswered. Someone needs to be held accountable. We need to keep making noise about this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of you when I saw this. God bless both of you!

    ReplyDelete