Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Queers: Allen West Is A Better Minority Than You

A frequent comparison is that of the LGBT civil rights struggle with that of African-Americans (do people still say African-Americans?  Or are we back to just saying black?  I dunno).  We have a lot in common, one of the glaring commonalities being our fight for marriage, with anti-miscegenation laws being a hallmark of the oppression facing racial minorities in the US.



Some aren't so happy about it, with Allen "Shut The Heck Up" West being particularly incensed that his ethnicity might be in any way associated with the LGBT movement.  From NCRM:

"Rep. Allen West (R-FL), discussing homosexuality, said, 'you cannot compare me and my race to a behavior. Sexuality is a behavior.' The conversation appears in this video, which was filmed in a sit-down interview with the Sun-Sentinel’s editorial board on Tuesday. In the video, Rep. Allen West again repeated his offensive claim, that gays can change their behavior, but 'I can not change my color.'

"'Everyone has the same basic rights and no one is telling people in the gay community that they don’t have, you know, the same basic rights that any America [sic] has.'  [Note from the editor: Except for you, jackass.]

"'I like chocolate chip ice cream, and I will continue to like chocolate chip ice cream,' West said. 'So there’s no worry about me changing to vanilla. I like to, you know, ride my motorcycle. What do you want me to do? You want me to change my behavior and ride a scooter? I’m not into that.'"

What?  What does that even mean?  Your preferences in ice cream and conveyances can certainly change. However, I've been gay as hell since I was 3 years old, as far as I can remember, and while I fooled around with ladies in high school (I was experimenting, cut me some slack!) my sexual orientation is in no way mutable.  

Just shut the heck up.

No comments:

Post a Comment